Hurricane Idalia left a significant mark on our community, and as we embark on the path to recovery, it’s crucial to understand the implications of the damage caused by the storm. This notice serves as a guide for residents and property owners in Valdosta, shedding light on the steps required to ensure compliance with Valdosta’s Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance.
Assessing the Damage
If your property structures have been damaged by Hurricane Idalia, you may need to bring them into full compliance with Valdosta’s Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance. The extent of repairs required will depend on the damage incurred and the property’s location within the Special Flood Hazard Area.
In the event that the City determines your property needs substantial improvement, you will receive a Substantial Damage Determination Letter. Please keep an eye out for these letters, as they will contain additional information about the required actions. Rest assured, no immediate response is necessary upon receiving this notice.
Understanding Substantial Improvement and Substantial Damage
To provide clarity, let’s define some crucial terms:
- Substantial Improvement (SI): This encompasses any reconstruction, rehabilitation, addition, or other improvement to a structure. The cost of these improvements must equal or exceed 50 percent of the structure’s market value before the improvement. Importantly, this definition includes structures that have sustained “substantial damage,” irrespective of the actual repair work performed.
- Substantial Damage (SD): This term pertains to damage of any origin sustained by a structure, where the cost of restoring the structure to its pre-damaged condition equals or exceeds 50 percent of the market value of the structure before the damage occurred. Essentially, any work on structures categorized as substantially damaged is considered substantial improvement.
Navigating the Recovery Process
We understand that you may have questions about the recovery process, inspections, and permits. Here’s what you need to know:
- Pre-Repair Inspections: It’s crucial to have damaged structures inspected before commencing any repair work. This ensures that the necessary steps are taken to meet compliance standards.
- Building Permits: For activities requiring a building permit, please consult our City Inspections Department. You can find more information at Valdosta City Inspections Department or call 229-259-3506.
- Floodplain Management Requirements: Certain requirements, such as raising the finished floor elevation to 2 feet above the flood elevation and elevating building mechanical systems, must be followed to manage flood risk effectively.
- Increased Cost of Compliance (ICC) Coverage: This coverage is part of NFIP standard flood insurance policies and can provide up to $30,000 toward the cost of bringing insured structures into compliance. Learn more about ICC coverage, claims processing, and eligibility here.
- Hiring Licensed Contractors: It is essential to engage licensed contractors for repair work. Beware of fraudulent and unlicensed entities that may take advantage of those affected by significant events.
We hope that this information provides clarity and guidance as we work together to recover from the impact of Hurricane Idalia. Stay safe, stay informed, and remember that your community is here to support you during these challenging times.
Are you in need of residential storm damage roofing services or products?
Alliance Specialty Contractor, Inc. is a GAF Certified Contractor and a Full Service, Veteran Owned, Roofing companies near you that specializes in handling Storm Damage and Insurance Claims! We are the #1 source for all your roofing needs and your full-service roofing company that specializes in Storm damage roof replacement for all properties. We offer roof financing for your roof replacement.
You can count on our highly skilled team to provide fast and reliable free roofing inspections. We deal directly with insurance to ensure you receive the coverage you deserve and provide the best products from GAF. Are you in the Pittsview, Seale, Salem, La Grange, Shiloh, Phenix City, Auburn, Opelika, Columbus, Midland, Ft. Mitchell, Salem, Fortson, or Smiths Station?
Contact Us Today!