While well-known brands like Owens Corning and CertainTeed dominate the roofing industry, TAMKO is an underrated giant worth a closer look. With competitive prices and robust durability, TAMKO shingles offer comparable quality to more expensive brands.
Who Is TAMKO?
Founded in 1944, TAMKO Building Products, Inc. has roots in Joplin, Missouri. A family-owned business, TAMKO began with its Heritage line of shingles in 1975, and has since expanded its offerings to include steel roofing and SBS-modified waterproofing options.
Exploring TAMKO’s Shingle Range
- 3-tab shingles: These are the Elite Glass-Seal brand. Priced around $95 per square for materials, they offer a 25-year limited warranty and Class A fire resistance.
- Heritage shingles: This series replicates wood shakes with textured fiberglass mats. It includes the Heritage, Heritage IR, Heritage Woodgate, Heritage Premium, and Heritage Vintage lines. With prices hovering around $90 per square, they are a cost-effective option.
- Heritage Proline series: This includes the StormFighter IR and Titan XT shingles, which are designed for high weather resistance.
- MetalWorks shingles: After acquiring MetalWorks in 2004, TAMKO began producing metal roofing shingles such as StoneCrest Slate Steel, StoneCrest Tile Steel, and AstonWood Steel.
Why Choose TAMKO?
- Affordability: TAMKO shingles are competitively priced, making them a cost-effective alternative to pricier brands.
- Reliable warranties: TAMKO’s warranties are straightforward, covering potential defects and labor costs.
- Weather protection: Their StormFighter IR and Titan XT shingles are tailored for storm-prone areas.
- TAMKO Edge program: This new contractor program helps improve the installation process and quality.
Not every product is without its flaws. Some customers have pointed out delamination issues and a shorter-than-advertised lifespan.
Comparing TAMKO with GAF and Owens Corning
|TAMKO||$95-$185 per square*||Up to 160 MPH winds|
|GAF||$110-$220 per square*||Some unlimited wind limits|
|Owens Corning||$110-$220 per square*||Up to 130 MPH winds|
Is TAMKO Right for You?
TAMKO’s products, especially their Heritage series, offer a blend of affordability and durability. When paired with an experienced roofer, particularly those in the TAMKO Edge program, homeowners can expect a quality installation. Despite some complaints, TAMKO’s warranty ensures peace of mind.
In conclusion, for those seeking a cost-effective, durable roofing solution, TAMKO should be on their list of considerations.